Wednesday 18 March 2020

Of Influential Albums 7 - Panorama de musique concrète by Pierre Henry and Pierre Schaeffer

Some time in 1970 I went to St Albans Music Centre one day to buy some guitar strings. I was also on the lookout for some "electronic music". I already had one album of purely electronically generated sound, but I wanted to find something with a more organic feel to it. John Fahey's album , "Requia" had introduced me to "concrete music" so when I saw this album, even though I knew nothing about the composers or their music, I bought it. It was also a curious package and it stuck out further on my record shelf than all the other records. That bit made it annoying!

What a revelation. For a long time I could not or would not listen to Pierre Henry's dramatic cantata, "Le Voile d'Orphée" at night. It just was too emotional an experience. I've since purchased more of Henry's music. It continues to amaze. I shan't list the tracks. In that very 1950s way, they are listed on the front cover,



No comments:

Post a Comment