Saturday 6 June 2020

Of BSS

I suppose that someone not acquainted with some of the rituals of living on a boat, or even owning one, might imagine BSS is just a rude set of initials. I suppose it depends on the outcome of the event, but for us it's pretty important. BSS stands for Boat Safety Scheme and certification under the scheme requires the services of a qualified tester. He ( the person I use is a he) checks out the systems on the boat for safety, gas, electricity, fuel, fire extinguishers, ventilation and so on and this testing has to be carried out every four years. Failure to have the vessel tested invalidates boat insurance and can affect validity of waterways licences and so on, so for such a little name it's a big deal.

My four years were up in February, after I'd left to go to France and Italy. Given the excitement of being away and the quarantine periods first in France on returning from Italy and then back on the boat when returning from France it slipped my mind until I thought I'd better check the paperwork. My BSS was, of course, out of date. This put my insurance in jeopardy. I phoned S, who normally carries out the test for me. He said that lockdown prevented him from working at the time, but that he would get back to me when the situation changed. So, the situation has apparently changed and today's the day. I am not allowed to be on the boat this time while the systems are being tested and all social distancing conventions must be observed. I spent yesterday cleaning and tidying and generally trying to make the bits that need to be seen as accessible as possible. Now, I wait ...

This morning I set up my laptop in the shed and ran a lead out to plug it in, so here I am. It has been raining all morning, as it has done for the past couple of days, so I guess the boat is pretty wet from when I've left doorways open and to go in and out. S. has just appeared out of the back of the boat and enquired about the fire extinguishers. I have the right number of extinguishers, but there's a special number that should add up to be greater than the total of the three he has found. I point out where he'd not seen the extinguishers extra to requirement. This brings the number up to the right level - phew!

It's always a worry that he'll find something that doesn't meet the standard. The stove door has still not come back from being repaired. Not related, but I've also noted the floor is becoming a bit bouncy in places. that means something underfoot is broken, but I don't think that's part of the examination ...

Breathe again. It has passed. Great, that's that for the next four years. Paperwork to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment