Saturday 31 July 2021

Of A Living Room Concert & An Afternoon Busk

I had a lovely opportunity to perform a few songs for a dear friend today. Some years ago she had a traumatic brush with cancer and was forced to undertake some radical and life-changing surgery. We've been good friends for about fifty years. She has been in remission, but sadly the cancer returned in several vicious new variants. It was obvious that time was limited. I was very keen to see her again, but with covid lockdowns and other restrictions we have had to be content with occasional phone calls. More recently she found those too exacting, so we have resorted to instant voice messages when she felt strong enough.

We first met each other at college when we studied music together in the early 1970s. When we had to work on projects in breakout groups we'd always work together with John, who sadly passed away shortly after we left college. Bea was a constant source of comfort and joy. She made it possible to laugh about anything. Today she would be laughing about the indignities brought about by her cancer. She is one of the most cultured people I know, yet would absolutely refute anything resembling such an accolade. While a friend and I went to the local cinema to watch the recent live broadcast of Wagner's "Die Walküre" Bea was in the audience at the Royal Opera House for two or three days as a treat to herself of one last Ring Cycle. Had I known I would have scanned the audience on the cinema screen more keenly.

By mid-day Bea is generally too exhausted to continue sitting up, so I had to get to hers by mid-morning. We chatted and laughed and I brought in my instruments. It was such an immense privilege to be able to share a few of my songs with this dearest of friends. She knew the songs I have recorded on my CD, so I sang a few from there and a few others that she hadn't heard. It was such an intimate and uplifting experience and I am so pleased I was able to share this time with her. Of course, by mid-day, she'd clearly had enough so as she was retiring to her bed I packed up my instruments and left. Close platonic friendships are such special and rare events. I never knew what to make of the times she introduced me to her friends with "... we went to college together; pity he's gay"!!!!




The weather that day had been a bit dull with occasional spots of rain, but by the end of the morning the sun was shining. I had my instruments and my voice was warmed up. I needed to go busking.

I drove into Hitchin town centre and was able to use the council information centre to book a two-hour slot at one of the town’s three designated busking spots with the aid of a very helpful assistant. Bravo Hitchin! Thank you too to the generous public. I had to get the instruments out of the rain a couple of times, but otherwise it was a very enjoyable experience. I may be back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment