Saturday 9 October 2021

Of Further Busking Adventures - Part Seven (Spalding)

Once again I have to apologise for months of inactivity on here. It has been very eventful. If I remember correctly I left Part Six having just had a TIA in Norwich. As a result of that experience I spent a couple of days in hospital and had a a few mostly inconclusive tests. I was also grounded for a month and wasn't allowed to drive. Of course that means no more busking either.

When I recovered from that and was strong enough to load up the van with the instruments I revisited old haunts and managed to get back into the busking habit again. It was indeed great fun. It has been a long time and so much has happened, but I'll just add a few mostly shorter essays in order to try and catch up. 

Today I went back to Spalding and met some of the lovely people there on their "Pumpkin Day" The town was very busy and, despite the continued worries about the Covid pandemic and its latest mutation, families were out in force. Several people came up to talk and the citizens were incredibly generous.

I have been mostly in writing mode this week - blog essays and a new song under way - so I’ve not made time for busking since last Saturday. However today the weather was so beautiful I really had to go and perform somewhere, didn’t I? I had promised myself I’d go back to Spalding after my last visit there, so today was that day. As before, the people were lovely! I used to go when the tulip carnival happened, but today was apparently pumpkin day. There were so many smiling faces, the market was throbbing with families and there were so many stalls it took me a while to find a spot where I could set up. I found the doorway of a closed-down shop and used that to spread out from. The only other street entertainment, apart from amplified Adèle being pumped through a sound system by a local rock school, was a Morris side. So many people wanted to stop, listen and thank me for my music. So many children wanted to dance. Some Poles and Latvians wanted to have photographs taken with me, and that was like being in Venice. Spalding really is a rather splendid place. 

Thank you Spalding! I'll be back 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment