Thursday 26 January 2023

Of Not Waving, But Drowning … In Thetford

For months, maybe longer, a gentleman by the name of Mike Harding-White has been inviting me to the twice-monthly open performance evenings he puts on in Thetford. I’ve never made it. I don’t think he’s ever seen me play, but he is so keen for me to come that I’ve been feeling guilty about never going to one of his evenings. He was also in Bury last week, but our paths didn’t cross. Since I can no longer blame Covid or my stroke for not turning up, I really intended to go to one of his sessions this month. Then the river froze. 

I told him I would try and busk back in Thetford on Thursday. I enjoyed it last time I was there. There may not have been many people, but they were interested and generous. Therefore there will be a busking trip to Thetford today. The weather forecast declared a <5% chance of rain. Just as I’d set up and was about to start a man dropped a pound coin in the hat and warned me I’d brought the rain with me. 

He wasn’t kidding. I got through the first song and was already quite wet through. Of greater concern, though, were the instruments. I covered the footdrums with the towel I usually sit on and put my guitar back in its case.  I was hoping the innovative electronics of the built-in HyVibe system were robust enough to withstand a mild drenching, not to mention the Lâg guitar. The rain eased back a little so I unpacked the guitar again and played the footdrum pedals through the towel. It kind of worked and the rain and I came to a grudging understanding. Mike turned up and we actually met at last. He stayed for pretty much the whole time I played. He took photographs and video on his phone. I may be able to share some of them eventually.

My previous experience of Thetford was pretty much repeated. There weren’t a lot a people, but a steady stream of passing shoppers, slowed down to walk by and some even stopped to listen to a song or two. People, nodded, smiled, thanked me and walked in time with the music as they passed by. It was a lovely friendly experience and Thetford will definitely stay on my list for a return visit. Mike turned out to be super-friendly and keen to get things happening in the community. He said his evenings already attracted about twenty people. I really shall make an effort to get to one of them. 

However, tonight I’ll be drying my clothes and instruments!

Marsh in Thetford by Mike Harding-White





No comments:

Post a Comment