Saturday 26 February 2022

Of Strokes Of Ill Fortune

18th February 2022
This will not be my usual kind of post, but since some people were expecting me to play in Stoke Ferry tomorrow night I thought I would broadcast my news. 

I did get out to Wisbech for the busking session I promised myself a couple of days ago, but when I arrived it was full of noise. I couldn't set up in my favourite spot near the bus station because of the sound emanating from a new busker in town. He was using a Street Cube to amplify his lovely singing and excellent guitar playing ... though I noticed that all the shop doors that are normally held open to welcome customers were closed. He was very loud. He finished with a beautiful rendition of Richard Thompson's "Beeswing", but he was very loud!

I could not even set up outside the shop that has frequently asked me to play there, because that would have put me even closer to New Busker. Unfortunately his art had attracted the attention of a man in a hi-vis jacket who was bearing a clipboard. I suspected NB had queered the pitch for all of us. A quick word with the Hi-Vis Clipboard Man confirmed that he was now required to enforce the rules that prohibit busking in this part of town without the aspiring street performer first gaining permission from a "precinct manager", something I've never before had to do. When I asked where I could find said manager and I was pointed towards a tiny office near the car park. ... "But he's not there today," informed H-V C Man. So it turns out I was not allowed to busk and nor was I able to ask permission. This would prove to be a recurring theme for Wisbech. Many thanks to NB - not!!

There was a second busker, an acoustically powered one this time, a bit further along the street, so I couldn't set up there either. Therefore I had to move into the Market Square out of earshot of the second busker. It not being a market day there was no one in the square and it had reverted to its normal function of car park. I set up anyway and began to play. Hardly anyone came near. I played for about an hour, but felt a little out of sorts. It wasn't going well so I assumed this was a post-covid thing. Then it happened. My right leg went numb and my strumming hand stopped working. Having experienced the TIA six months earlier I suspected a second transient ischaemic attack. I could not stand up, but somehow I managed to pack my instruments away and strap them to the trolley. Busking for today was over.

Leaning heavily on my trolley and dragging my uncooperative foot behind me I headed back towards the van. I had no idea what I was going to do after that, but I wanted to get the instruments into a place of safety. As I approached the shop that wanted me to play I saw a friend approaching. He saw immediately that something was wrong and made me sit down. He phoned for an ambulance and while he was waiting for a response instructed me to hold up my arms, to smile, to count how many fingers he was holding up and tell him where I was. No ambulance was going to be available for at least two hours.

I have had a second stroke and this one was neither mini nor transient. The effects of this one are a bit more serious and have lasted longer than 24 hours. However the good news is that I’m feeling much better and I’m now allowed to walk independently. I’m expecting to make a full recovery even if I have to simplify some of the drum parts when I start playing again. I’m not looking for sympathy, but sharing this so people know and understand why I’m not where they might expect. At the moment I’m still in hospital and being treated by amazing NHS staff who are undoubtedly battling serious challenges themselves. Thanks for your patience and understanding. I am surrounded by love and good wishes and I look forward to seeing you soon.

I may get round to filling in more details for any readers who like the gory stuff. I'll have to tell you about the police van.



No comments:

Post a Comment